City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones  - Cassandra Clare

Synopsis

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Review

I knew going into this there would be a mixture of people who loved it, or rather see it burn to ashes. What side am I on, well I would never dare to burn a book for starters, but besides that I actually enjoyed the book. I loved the fantasy world Cassandra Clare created, the complex characters and the typical young adult (YA) love triangle.

Even though Stephanie Meyers, author of Twilight series (which I hate) quoted "A story world I love", I still loved it.

This is actually the second time I've read this, I decided to re-read it again because it was such a long time ago and I wanted to finally finish the series. Considering that, I was still on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen to Clary and her shadowhunter friends. You always miss something the first time around.

Set in New York City, Clary and her best friend Simon, go to an all age 'nightclub' called Pandemonium where she meets a strange looking boy with blue hair (she later discovers he is a demon) and three Nephilim, half angel half human also called shadowhunters, are about to kill him. The twist, humans can not see this other world, so when a fifteen-year-old girl did the complete opposite, things start to get interesting. Her mother is kidnapped and she finds out she isn't who she thinks she is.

This book is all about twists and turns, from finding out who her real father is, what happened to her brother that she didn't know she had (wait till the end of the book), a love interest she didn't know about, and finally the love triangle between Clary, her best friend Simon and the gorgeous shadowhunter Jace. It wouldn't be a YA novel without a good love triangle.

Even though I loved this book, there was something that I absolutely hated. It actually happens with a lot of YA novels and I wonder why authors must put this in. It's the characters relationship with their parent/s. Maybe it's because I'm a mum and I would be upset if my child hated me. Especially with all the love you give them.

For example with Clary and her mother, after finding out she was a shadowhunter and her mother didn't tell her, she gets in a pissy. OK your mother kept something like that from you, but you have to stop and think about why she did that.

There was a part where one of my favourite characters, Magnus Bane, said something that all I could think was thank God someone said that to Clary so she can shut up now:

"She did what she did to keep you out of a world that she hated. Her whole existence, the running, the hiding-the lies, as you called them-were to keep you safe".

This was sometime after Clary said she was 'mind-raped'. I actually nearly thew the book at a wall for that disgusting reference to what happened to her. This is a YA novel, not a crime thriller, must it be written like that?

Overall it was a great read, I can't wait to read the second book, City of Ashes, to see what happens to Clary, Jace and the others.