Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning

Synopsis

MacKayla Lane's life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she's your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks...until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death-a cryptic message on Mac's cell phone-Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister's killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed-a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae....

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister's death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane-an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women-closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac's true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book-because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands....

Review

Before I begin I just want to thank Imogen for recommending this amazing book to me. Everything about this world, characters, the setting, left me wanting more. I was reading this non stop until I realised that I finished, and really, did she have to finish it like that. Thank goodness I have the second book, because who knows what type of havoc I would do.

Also don't be overly fooled by the cover, yes this is a mature book that mentions sex, but it was (for me anyway) not all about that. It didn't seem to over power the story or the dialogue.

What stands out for me is my love for the main character MacKayla, Mac for short. I sometimes wish every character would be like her, funny, smart, brave but also scared, a genuine character that you can relate to. One of those perfect characters to read that you can't seem to get enough of.

Teamed up with the gorgeous, non bullshit talking, Jericho Barrons, they both try to find not only the killer of her sister, but also this mysterious ancient book.

I enjoyed it when these two characters came in contact with one another, and that happens quite a lot, that I was shocked when I realised that I didn't care overly much if they started a love relationship or not. Yes there were sexual tensions between the two, but it didn't clog the main story line.

I've only scraped the surface of the complete story, that's why this review will be short but sweet. That and because I want to start reading the second book as soon as possible.

If you haven't read this book yet, do it. You will not be disappointed.