Night Owls by Jenn Bennett

Night Owls - Jenn Bennett

Synopsis

Since school had let out in May, gold graffiti had been popping up around San Francisco. Single words painted in enormous golden letters appeared on bridges and building fronts. Not semi-illegible, angry gang tags, but beautifully executed fonts done by someone with talent and skill...

Meeting Jack on the Owl—San Francisco's night bus—turns Beatrix's world upside down. Jack is charming, wildly attractive...and possibly one of San Francisco's most notorious graffiti artists.

On midnight rides and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who this enigmatic boy really is. But Jack is hiding much more - and can she uncover the truth that leaves him so wounded?

Review

I loved how different it was from any other book I've read before. I'm not talking about a boy and girl falling in love (I've read a few of those), what made this different was Beatrix. She wants to be an anatomy artist, basically where she draws the inside of bodies so they can be featured in medical books.

What a brilliant idea for a character to be interested in something as strange as this, I can definitely say I have not read a character who wanted this to be their career.

To say that I was hooked from page one is an understatement. The writing technique was amazing, Jenn Bennett knew how people actually talked. She also made such fun, interesting characters, and I would have to say Beatrix's mother, Katherine and her brother, Heath, had to be my favourite characters. Just their simple conversations they were having was making me laugh out loud. Wish I could of seen more of them throughout the book, but I was happy none the less.

The only problem I had was the pacing of the novel. At times it felt a bit slow, maybe because I was anxious to find out what will happen next.

Before I finish my review I should talk about Jack, except I don't want to give away too much of his character. So lets just say he is a very interesting character with a lot of drama of his own.